Sometimes I feel a little like a trial lawyer rather than a toddler parent - all of my statements or questions must be phrased just so to get the response I want. Meaning, of course, that I need the tot to respond other than with a high pitched,"Noooo!" and crashing her body to the floor.
For bath time I used to ask (with just a tad of enthusiasm), "Charlotte, are you ready for your bath?" at which she would eagerly run towards the sound of running water. No such luck with a question like that now. Instead, I say, with as much enthusiasm as I can muster, "Charlotte, let's go take a bath! Come on, you can pick out which color wash cloth you want to use! Okay?" She's really begining to master her colors these days, so involving colors in everything we do seems to help.
Notice the enthusiasm part I mentioned? The right amount of enthusiasm and attention keeps the toddler tantrums better at bay. The energy needed to maintain that amount of enthusiasm and positive energy every day, however, makes me feel something like a high school cheerleader instead of a Mom. No wonder I fall dead into my bed every night!
The final thing that seems to help, is talking Charlotte through the day. Telling her what we're doing, where we're going, what we're going to eat, etc. helps transition her from one activity to the next.
The hardest part of all of these things is consistantly keeping up with them all, all day long. But so far, the days that I do keep up with them turn out to be the better days, and we see more of this:
No comments:
Post a Comment