YAY!
After a crazy and frustrating day yesterday (will get into that later) we got good news last night - Charlotte's hips are growing so well, with good coverage and reaching normal angles, in the cast, that it will come off today! She will still have to be in a brace around the clock for 4 more weeks, but we are thrilled. Now, since she looked good three weeks ago, the Dr. anticipated taking the cast off after only 6 weeks, but of course, not without consulting an x-ray first...
Back up to Wednesday - Fred and I both noticed that the back of Charlotte's thigh under her cast wasn't dry. By the afternoon, I realized that something was seriously not right and that something was irritated in there. We'd been on a playdate at the park, concerned, I left so I could call the Doctor about it. On the way home, the doctor's office called me and to say they needed to reschedule my Friday appointment to January 25th. After telling them, "NO she's in a hip spica cast that needs to come off, and I was just about to call you because there is something wrong and she needs to come in sooner," she said, "How about Tuesday?" I think my bottled emotion began to pour out because she said, "How about I let you talk with Dr. Gerow's assistant?" Of course I had to leave a message for her.
Figuring that I wouldn't get a call back anytime soon, I decided just to take her into the office. Mom joined me and I called from the car - hitting zero for an "emergency" to actually TALK to someone about the problem (and mention that I was around the corner and just going to bring my baby). Lo and behold, you tell them you are on your way and they will give you call back ASAP. Anyway, the nurse said not to panic if she didn't have a fever or chills, and set us up for an 8:10 am appointment for the following morning - at the Pearland office.
So bright and early Mom and I, Buggaboo tucked in the carseat, are on our way to the newly opened Pearland office. Before the cast can come off, we have to get an x-ray. They send us to the MRI & imaging place across the parking lot, where we are told that they don't do pediatric images for children under 7. WHAT?
This news shocks everyone back at the doctor's office. The doctor told me to slather Desitin on the dermatitis (generic term meaning skin irritation) and with many apologies sent us back to the busy main office to get an x-ray. The Dr. said he'd call after he looked at the x-ray. So we got to drive to the Medical Center, sit in another waiting room, and look at more shocked faces when I explained why we were there.
For the lack of napping and delayed mealtimes, Charlotte was such an angel all morning. She proceeded to pass out after lunch and sleep for 3 hours of the afternoon. I worked for a while, but was exhausted from all the runaround!
Of course the nurse called me just after 4 pm to say that they had scheduled us for the OR this morning at 6 am. WHOA! I asked her if he'd looked at the x-ray yet and she said no. How on earth can they make that kind of decision to put my child under without looking at an x-ray? Especially since the last x-ray showed good growth? (Never mind the 1K deductible we would have to meet all over again for 2008) Anyway, she called back to say that the doctor would drive to the main office, look at Charlee's x-ray, and let us know if we needed to go to the OR in the morning or not.
And then the call came - she looks very good! Now I am waiting for the office to open so we can go in and get this thing cut off!
YAY YAY YAY!
We'll post pictures of the whole thing later :-).