So this morning Charlotte and I had to run into Randalls to pick up ONE item that I'd forgotten to ask Fred to get yesterday in his grocery trip.
There was only regular lane and 4 self-checkout lanes open. Two of the self lanes were free, so thought, "Easy." I also chuckled to myself about Dad's dislike of the self-check out system, because, really, its easy.
So I stood Charlotte on the floor next to me, typed in my phone number, scanned my item, and dropped it in the bag. I looked down at Charlotte for a second as I reached for my purse to pull out my credit card when the attendee came hovering over, "Are you having trouble?"
"What? No. Thanks. "
My card out, I hit the "debit card" option, and the machine says, "Unaccounted item in shopping bag." I look over and of course, Charlotte is leaning on the weight sensor. Before I can gently pull her aside a different attendant (SERIOUSLY, how many do you need?) says in a sharp voice, "Little One, don't lean on the sensor."
What the heck? As if she is going to step away now because she totally understands what you just said. As if she knows that she's holding onto something that she shouldn't.
I take her hand and pull her back a couple of feet. As I turn back to the screen, I hear the guy say, "The self-checkout really isn't for young children."
I just ignored him, swiped my card, collected my bag and receipt, and left.
Really though, you'd think she'd been throwing a fit while I tried to buy a basket full of items with half a dozen people waiting on us. Really, I would have been MAYBE 30 seconds faster if Charlotte hadn't been with me, and still standing in line if I'd gone "full service."
I think perhaps Dad is right, and I will avoid the self checkout lane from now on.
5 comments:
I think you should write to the manager of Randalls and tell them what happened.
Add up how much you spend on groceries each month. Multiply that times 12. For my family, our food and medicine and cleaning supplies, etc., all those things we buy at the grocery stores ... adds up to $10,000 or so. Imagine how the people at Barnes and Noble would treat someone who spent that much a year. Or the car dealership, if I bought a new car every other year. Why is it that grocery stores, where you spend the largest amount of your salary, hire untrained high school kids who treat you rudely?
That is RIDICULOUS!!! I was livid just reading about the "Little one, don'e lean on the sensor" comment. But your comment about Charlotte obviously not understanding DID make me giggle. WOW...just let it roll of your back. What goes around comes around, right?
Thats the thing, usually Randalls is great. But I only shop there for one or two items on a quick trip - HEB is cheaper, so we shop there.
Oh no... I totally would have said something - you're a more level headed lady than me when it comes to customer service (or the lack thereof)! Good job for keeping it cool but really, that's so unreasonable! I would have said "ok great, thanks for coming to offer to hold her - here!" and loved to see the look on their faces!
Oh no... I totally would have said something - you're a more level headed lady than me when it comes to customer service (or the lack thereof)! Good job for keeping it cool but really, that's so unreasonable! I would have said "ok great, thanks for coming to offer to hold her - here!" and loved to see the look on their faces!
Post a Comment