Things have been pretty much turned up-side down around here since my last post.
The end of April saw a tough day for my co-workers at our family business in a round of lay-offs. The marketing department now looks very different, led by my Dad with the rest going through me - some to be handled by me, and some by his assistant, IT, and others I've recruited for things like taking photographs when I'm not there. It has been a big shift for our family, as I went from working 10-15 hours a week to something like 30 this week (hopefully not a permanent solution) . My mom has been awesome, watching the kiddos for me three times this week, and offering to help as much as she can. Fred has been really supportive. Before we married, before the children arrived in our lives, he didn't quite agree with my desire to be a stay at home mom. Now that I've started putting in more hours, instead of thinking about the extra money I'll bring in, he worries about the kids needing their mother around more. That makes me feel good, to have a husband who wants to provide for our family and wants the best for our children.
The other bit of chaos landed on May 2nd with the passing of my 93 year old grandmother. She'd been sick with Alzheimer's for roughly 20 years, a length of time totally unheard of for that disease. Her departure came not with overwhelming sadness, as we've grieved her loss bit by bit as her illness took her slowly away from us. I always worried that I would only remember her as the voiceless woman in a wheel chair, but now I know that when I think of her, I always think of the kind woman I loved who cooked wonderful family meals, told stories about her family, liked to watch the humming birds, and put curlers in her hair every night before bed.
We had a visitation here the week of her death, and then Mom and I packed up the car and drove to Virginia. It was the first LONG road trip I've taken with either of the kiddos, and not quite as enjoyable as I would have liked, with everything going on back home with work. The first day on the road we had hardly made it past the state line when we had car trouble. Thankfully we found a great (and honest!) mechanic in Sulphur, LA and the rest of the trip was uneventful.
I love Virginia, though. The weather was great. My cousins' old house on the James River is beautiful and filled with antiques. We buried 'Mom' next to Papa after a service at Bethany, a small church near my grandfather's childhood home. Somehow, though I've never lived there, Virginia feels a bit like home, and I was sad to leave after so short a stay.
My camera is full of photographs that need to be posted, so I hope to do that one day soon. I promise to share then, with more amusing updates about my sweet kiddos, who are both growing like little weeds.
2 comments:
I am sorry to see that you have had a tough month. I hope June is kinder.
How is your mom doing?
take care.
At least I like my job, I just don't like the extra strains it puts on family. My mom is doing well; I think we've all had closure that has been good.
Post a Comment