My mom has been out of town this week and I found out that my Dad was going to be home on his own last night, so I invited him over for dinner. Charlotte was thrilled to to have Granddaddy over, and we let her stay up past her bedtime while we visited. Dad asked Fred a question about his business, and Fred jumped into all of the technical details that they both seemed to understand but which were over my head. Charlotte climbed up into her chair on the other side of the table and asked for some water.
And then she reached for her Daddy's water.
Except it wasn't water.
"Charlotte, that is not water. Charlotte, I'll get you some water. Charotte, don't drink that. Fred! Don't let her drink that. Charlotte, that is not water. Charlotte that is not..."
With my arms full of Frederick, I couldn't stop her from taking a big mouthful of vodka tonic. Fred and my dad were BOTH oblivious. Neither even noticed when Charlotte spewed her mouthful of alcohol and bits of bread back into Fred's glass.
"That's not water!" she proclaimed with a look of disgust on her face. I laughed as I reminded her that she should have listened to me. Since I had visions of Fred (still oblivious) picking up his glass and swallowing a mouthful of backwash, I finally interrupted his conversation to tell him Charlotte backwashed into his drink. I'm not even sure my Dad actually ever noticed what happened.
I'm pretty sure Charlotte won't ignore me the next time I ask her not to drink something, though.
Okay, so she probably will. But at least I know she'll most likely spit it out.
1 comment:
OH my!!! Nothing you could have done though since the guys were "deep" into their chat. Kinda funny though...you have to admit...LOL ;-)
Post a Comment