Friday, October 7, 2011

My House Overfloweth

My cup and my house overfloweth.

The house with toys, that is.  And they migrate from one room to another.  Thank you, Bottie for the 300 piece tea set.  I find little spoons and tea cups under the bathroom sink, in the sock drawer, under the bed, you name it.  

Eventually, I spend a whole afternoon reorganizing toys and coming up with some that we can donate or give away.  Today was one of those days.  

I tried to get Charlotte involved.  She helped when I asked her to put things in certain bins or carry something to her room.  I greatly appreciated that!  I also asked her to pick out some things that we could give away.

She came up with three things.  All three were toys that may have come out of a Wendy's kid's meal bag.  And then she decided that she wouldn't be able to part with them after all.

So then I gave a goal.  Charlotte, let's come up with five bigger toys to give away.  Not just little ones.

She picked five stuffed animals.  One is an old one of mine, the other an old one of Fred's and another belongs to Frederick. 

How do you get your kids to part with their things?  Is it possible?

There are some toys that she'll part with, but they are now more age appropriate for Frederick and I don't really find that fair, either.

Seriously, with Christmas around the corner, some of this stuff has got to go.


3 comments:

Christy Drake said...

I know some people tell their kids about the "pacifier fairy" who gives their pacifiers to babies who need them. Maybe something like the Toy Fairy for new babies who need the toys? Have her place them in a special place one night before bed and they "magically disappear" by the time she wakes up in the morning, with a gift (lollipop?) from the Toy Fairy?

Elaine said...

This might be a great time to talk about those less fortunate who might not have a Christmas if others don't sacrifice in order to help them out...

Elizabeth said...

I don't think she really gets the concept yet. I think she needs some immersion with people who don't have so much.

My solution was to take her to the store and walk her down the toy aisle. After a succession of "I wants" I told her that we couldn't buy any new toys until she filled a basket of items to give away. She actually parted with quite a few of her things and I am proud of her!