We are having TRIPLETS!
I so wanted to write a post as soon as we found out but I didn't trust my self not to publish it right away. That and the exhaustion this time around has be brutal.
Fred and I decided (okay, I decided and then spent a lot of time convincing Fred) that we were ready for baby number three. We know our NFP, so even though we'd only given it one try, our track record made us think the chances of getting pregnant were good. Once an at-home test confirmed our suspicions I told Fred that if we ever do this again we should focus on less fertile days. It's a real shock to go from talking about number three to pregnant in two weeks time! I didn't have much time to adjust to that shock before we received the next one.
We hadn't told anyone that we were pregnant, as my brother's wife is pregnant and they were about to have a party to reveal the gender of their baby. I decided to wait until after our first visit to tell anyone.
I saw the PA on my first visit at 7 weeks 6 days. Right away two little babies popped up on the screen. "Oh, do you want two babies?" were the first words out of her mouth. She measured them both, worrying a little over baby B's smaller size, and identified two strong heart beats. I was happy. I smiled. Cried a single tear. I wasn't overwhelmed by the idea of twins at all. Two hands, two parents, two boobs for nursing, four kids (a number I liked) all made it seem doable.
Then things got crazy when she moved the wand and up popped Baby C. They needed a better ultrasound machine so she jumped up and called to the receptionist. A few nurses filled the exam room to peek over her shoulder at all three miracles. I laughed and cried and made it hard for her to measure baby number three.
Someone asked me if I wanted to call my husband and have him come over. Nope. Fred WAS ON AN AIRPLANE on his way out of town. Really? Oh yes. He hadn't wanted to take off work to join me and when the trip came up I just let it go. After all, this wasn't my first rodeo. This meant I had to keep such extraordinary news to myself for well over an hour after my appointment. I made several wrong turns leaving the medical center and realized that if I stopped making absent minded turns I would be just in time for noon Mass. Perfect.
I had just ordered lunch at Chick-fil-a when Fred responded to my, "Call me when you get off the plane" text. I tried to break the news as gently as I could. First I made sure he wasn't driving a car. Then I told him he wasn't allowed to miss appointments again. He immediately worried that something was wrong. After assuring him everything is okay, I told him the PA's two baby comment and let him think twins for a moment before dropping the bomb that baby B was kind of squished between babies A and C.
"You are telling me we are having three babies?!" he asked, mirroring my shock. I began to laugh and cry again, this time in the middle of Chick-fil-a as the busy lunch crowd gave me funny looks and someone asked to make sure I was okay.
Laughing and crying continued to be my emotions the next three weeks especially any time I told someone we are expecting triplets!
3 comments:
ho.ly.cow. Wow.
Congrats! You're now a M.O.M.! :)
Elizabeth, congratulations! This is such exciting news - and such big news! (This is Erin Villatoro, Vicki Jackman's friend.) Haven't seen you in a while, since Gobblerfest 2010 maybe? I wish you guys the best with the family expansion!
Thanks! Mini van, here we come! And I say that with excitement. I swore this day would never come :-P.
Post a Comment