Monday, June 4, 2012

The Odds

1 in 49
1 in 154
1 in 807

Those are the adjusted odds, based on our Nuchal Translucency measurements, that one of these babies has Down Syndrome.

It's an easy ultrasound screening that I have skipped with my other pregnancies, but this time, I didn't.  I didn't even really know that this is what I was signing up for the first time I called my MFM (Maternal Fetal Medicine) doctor. And once I'd realized that's what I had done, I almost called back to clarify and say no NT measurements.

But I didn't.

And then he did the measurements on his very high-tech ultrasound machine and these are the adjusted results he gave me for babies A, B, & C.

Suddenly there was talk of genetic counseling.  Invasive and non-invasive options.  What did I want to do?

And my answer came without much thought.  Nothing. 

We will simply wait and see. 

Why? The MaterniT21 test is only a simple blood draw from me and gives back a reliable Positive for T21 and a slightly less reliable negative for T21.  But it wouldn't tell me which baby. We don't know for certain that we don't have an identical pair in there, so a positive could even mean two babies have Down Syndrome, so it wouldn't be a very good answer.

And the truth is, I rather hold my child in my arms first.  After Charlotte spent six weeks in a hip spica cast (small peanuts in the big picture, I know) I learned that as a parent we quickly look past our children's disabilities and see only the child we love.  A big pink cast covering half my baby's body? I didn't even see it after a few days.

And I rather spend the rest of my pregnancy figuring out how the heck we are going to organize our lives to bring home three newborns instead of stressing about something I cannot do anything about until the baby arrives.  Then, if needed, I can focus on loving my child and how to best care for him.

I should probably stress, though, that our babies hearts all have four chambers and two valves (is that right?) and look good.  If this wasn't true and it looked as though other medical issues were present, I would rethink my answer.
 
Overall, I'm surprised with the peace I have in this.  My child is my child. God gave me these exact children, all at the same time, for some reason. In this I have complete faith, even if I do not understand the why. The rest doesn't really matter unless it becomes urgent.

3 comments:

Vicki D. Jackman said...

Not going to lie...this post got me all choked up...alright...OK I cried. But the tears were b/c of your incredible bravery in each of your pregnancies. I've known you for 10 years now and you're so inspiring with your outlook and approach on life. You bravely accept the things you cannot change in life and face them with ultimate confidence and positive conviction. And the best part is that more often than not, you pepper in bits of humor that have me in stitches. I already told you that the "kissing the naked baby Jesus story" with Charlotte frequently finds a place in stories I tell to people who talk about the things they never thought they'd hear themselves saying before they had kids.

My long rambling (and somewhat emotional point) of this is that regardless of the outcome, your babies will be perfect and I can't wait to meet them and see the Sanchez family of 7 all together. You and Fred have a tremendous support network around you and I'm in awe of this journey that you two are on right now.

Lots of love!!! - V

Elizabeth said...

Oh, the naked bottom on Jesus! Good times.

Thank you for the sweet words. I only do what I feel I have no choice but to do. Thank God for the support system, though, or there is no way we could ever do it!

Jessica C said...

Thank you, Elizabeth for updating your blog so much these last few weeks. I love watching you grow on this journey. I, too, am in awe of your generous response to Our Lord! Thank you for sharing and thank you for being an example!
jessica Counts