Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Thoughts on the President Elect

While this blog generally avoids all things controversial and I rarely blog about anything other than our family life, Vicki's blog post last night about her frustration over the election of Obama had me typing up such a long response, I decided it needed its own post here.

As I went to bed last night, like many Americans, I had a sick feeling in my stomach. Things rarely turn out as grim as they seem, and I hope to see a Republican majority return to Congress - I believe a balance in government is always necessary. Will the "Change" Obama promises leave us better off? In many ways, perhaps so, in other ways, only time will tell.

HOWEVER, I rarely get on my soap box about my Pro-Life stance, but I'm horrified by the "Freedom of Choice Act" that Obama supports. I'm also shocked by Catholics who supported Obama despite his pro-choice extremes. (See a blog post here about puting moral issues first when voting).

FOCA would abolish state laws that protect doctors and nurses from losing their jobs if they refuse to participate in abortions. Why can't someone refuse to be a part of something they believe a moral wrong?

FOCA would abolish requirements for parental notification and informed consent for mothers who consider the procedure. As a parent, it boggles my mind that we have to give permission for every little thing concerning our children until they reach adulthood, but could potentially have no involvement in a decision SO HUGE. As far as informed consent goes, what doctor fights to NOT give a patient all the information about ANY procedure, anyway?

Furthermore, the bill would force states to appropriate taxpayer money to fund abortions. Thus more of MY MONEY would go to support a program that I don't just dislike, but that I find morally wrong.

Obama also counts himself among the very few pro-choice advocates who supports no restrictions on late-term abortions, or any kind of abortions. That a child who would be viable outside the womb can be killed inside the womb without restriction, I find the most horrific of all.

My heart really goes out to all women who found abortion to be their only option, but that would also take me into a whole different tirade about women and our "choices."

Sorry, off my soapbox now, and back to your regularly scheduled pictures of cuteness.

2 comments:

HappyAutisticMama said...

Well said. What bothers me in addition is that the three local TX representatives who are cosponsoring that bill also all got reelected by large margins:-( I really hope that Obama doesn't really make FOCA his first priority like he said he would. I do think that Obama can make some positive changes, yes, but that would be too depressing.

Anonymous said...

fightfoca.com

i wholeheartedly agree w/ this entire post. i am physically ill at the thought of foca coming to pass, not only as a woman and a Catholic, but as a healthcare professional. granted, i work icu and not anything to do w/ women's services, but still. i find obama horrific, and that some of our "pro-life" friends who support him is absolutely unacceptable. i could go on, but i won't.