Monday, July 27, 2009

The Cookie Monster

Ahh, yes, my very own cookie monster. Or just my very own monster, depending on her mood. While often the most loving, this little cookie dough eater also likes to throw her own tantrum. Or two or three. If I'm not going to cave to something, I ignore the tantrum, so she's usually back to sweet and happy within a minute.

Sometimes, I can't ignore the tantrum, because we're in the parking lot at Kroger, it's 100 degrees outside, and she doesn't want to get into the car and into her car seat. Mommy, who is still recovering from the swine flu, just can't handle that.

She gave up tantrums long enough today, however, to help me make cookies, although insisting on a lot of extra tasting. As I scooped out sugar and flour, she took the measuring cups in her hand and said confidently, "I do this, Mommy." What didn't end up in the bowl gave a good, "I've been baking" effect to her dress. She has a cute pink apron, given to her by Aunt KK, but cries, "No, Mommy! No Mommy!" each time I pull it from the hook.

In fact, our baby girl (who's not much of a baby any more) talks up a storm these days. Though I try to encourage things like, "Please, Mommy" and "Yes, Mommy" and "No, thank you, Mommy," her most recent sentences include the word "need." "I need milk. I need help!"

She did not, however, need any help creating the masterpiece on the table. I thought it pretty creative!

Yes, those are colored pencils sticking out of her purple play-doh.

Just so everyone knows that a sweet girl does indeed live behind the sweet smile most of the time...
  • Charlotte loves to give hugs and kisses. My favorite to receive come while I'm singing her a song before putting her to sleep.
  • Often when passing a crucifix on the wall, she says, "Kiss Jesus?" and then does.
  • She loves to sing. While sometimes I have no idea which song she's belting out, we often hear "Jesus Loves Me," "ABCs" and "Muffin Man." She sings along to most of the 72 tracks on her Silly Songs CD. (Although sometimes she doesn't like to hear ME sing, " Mommy, no singing!")
  • When she gets to rough while playing and I tell her something hurts, she gives a big hug accompanied by an, "I sowwry," that makes my heart melt.
AND she's also very cute when eating cookie dough:

PS - Did I mention this batter is made with pasteurized eggs, so Mommy had some guilt free enjoyment too? Best invention, ever.

3 comments:

Helen said...

so cute! christy told me shes a feminist! apron too much like a bib maybe?

alison said...

i like the "i sowwry" story. reminds me of those sour patch kid commercials "first they're sour...then they're sweet!" although admittedly much cuter!

Erin said...

oh my gosh, you had the swine flu!
i just read on Foxnews that pregnant ladies are more susceptible to the swine flu. yikes.
i am glad you are feeling better!
your pictures of miss charlotte are precious as always!