Last week a big blue exercise ball replaced the chair that usually sits in front of my computer. I did the same thing in my first pregnancy, and I think it works out pretty well - especially because it is REALLY easy to just roll my big body off of the ball and into a standing position. Much easier than, say, getting up off the couch or out of bed. The only possible side effect that I'm trying to avoid this time around? The temptation to bounce on the ball while I browse the internet. Charlotte came into the world with a STRONG need to be bounced and rocked. All. The. Time. Babies who like motion love to ride in cars, right? Wrong! To keep her happy I had to keep the car moving AND use a hand to reach back and jiggle the car seat for extra vibration. Even her swing didn't rock her world quite enough. I'd use the vibrator on the bouncy seat and then bounce the seat to the point where she'd almost bounce out of it. While I know some babies just like to jiggle, I can't help but suspect the three months I spent sitting on an exercise ball. This time, less bouncing.
The third trimester has brought this realization that I have a long time left to be uncomfortable, but not a long time left to prepare for this new little one. This week I went through all of my newborn items (from clothes to blankets, to burp clothes) and washed the gender neutral items. I didn't wash anything pink, since I would love another girl but can hardly dare to hope that this little bug is a girl (I haven't had a single person, myself included, this time suggest I'm having a girl). Perhaps i will throw a few pink items into the wash as well, just in case ;-).
As I folded receiving blankets, MC came in to see what I was up to. I showed her how to wrap her baby doll up like a burrito. She was thrilled. Of course, this means that she'll want me to swaddle all of her dolls and stuffed animals. I think she's going to be a rock star at this big sister thing.
I did come across the most bumming piece of information last night, though. The visitor policy at St. Luke's where I'll be delivering has changed due to H1N1. Visitors are limited to 2 at a time and no children under the age of 10 are allowed. Most of my visitors last time came in droves, so I'm a little bummed about the Fred + 1 that I'll be reduced to, but I'm really unhappy about the 10 year old age cut off. I'm finding it really hard to let go of all of my daydreams of Charlotte meeting Little Bug in my hospital room (or delivery room if the timing worked well). I briefly wondered if I could still switch to a midwife and have this baby at home or in a birthing center, but decided I need a better reason than to get around a single hospital policy! Mostly, I think my frustration stems from the fact that since Charlotte already had swine flu, she isn't going to pass it on to another patient. Unfortunately, I don't see anyone at the hospital giving a flip about this relevant little fact.
I keep trying to be rational and understanding about the policy, but every time I think about it I just get aggitated. The website touts family-centered maternity care, which obviously doesn't apply to my whole family, so they should remove it, right? Is it crazy to wonder how the best thing for my whole family would be to keep our young daughter from being part of such a wonderful and life changing occasion? Will she transition just as easily to the new baby if we walk in the front door with our new little one as if she'd come up to the hospital to see where Mommy had the baby? I am afraid that she'll just think that Mommy vanished suddenly for days on end and then feel resentful when I walk in with a new baby.
While I know it will all be oaky, I'm still NOT okay with it yet. I'll get there, only because I don't think I have much choice...
8 comments:
THAT IS MESSED UP. I am calling RIGHT NOW.
I guess I could have mentioned that I haven't contacted the hospital beyond seeing it on the website. I was just going to wait until my appointment next week to bring it up.
Ugh, I can see them limiting other visitors but the baby's big sis? Yeah, you have to protect the patients, but I see where you're coming from. That said, I do know a birthing center but I can't recommend it. The midwife there is not very friendly and she is the reason I could have died early in my pregnancy (she missed all my major ectopic symptoms).
Got news. Siblings under 10 are allowed as long as they don't have any symptoms, and they will need to be screened. This seems much more reasonable to me.
Wow, Connie, you act fast! Glad to find there is a reasonable level of concern, but that MC will be able to visit us at the hospital.
That's great news! I still don't get the measures that some people take vs. others right now with Swine Flu. They are so over the top at the hospital, yet I was at a Catholic wedding last night and watched 300+ guests sip wine from the SAME goblet. Didn't they get the memo that they really should't be doing that right now?! Uhhhhh hello???!!! I had to finally turn my head b/c I couldn't watch anymore.
Matthew was/is a bouncy baby too. The first time Greg put him in his swing he put it on the lowest setting and Matthew wailed. When it was going as fast as it could go that was okay for a couple minutes though. He also had to have his bouncy seat bounced while it vibrated, which made for interesting showers, and I dreaded red lights and stop signs for the first few months. He still doesn't like for me to stand still or sit down while I am wearing him!
Vicki - this spring a lot of places stopped offering wine for communion while others reminded everyone not to take the wine if you weren't feeling well in any way. Me? I just skip it.
Catherine - Yup, sounds like MC's first few months in a nutshell. I'm not sure I'm up for that a second time around!
Post a Comment