Sunday, January 9, 2011

Embarrassing Moments at Church

Some days I really wish our church had a nursery.   Even when we went to a church with a nursery though, we never used it, so I guess I should not really complain.  It is good for Charlotte to learn how to behave in Mass, but there just isn't much you can do about a baby.  Frederick always starts off kind of quiet looking around.  Then he babbles a little, but it's not too loud, so we gently shhh him and hope it passes.  Next he sees the stain glass windows and just has to touch the little knobs at the bottom, which would be fine, except they are 8 feet away, across the aisle.  He groans and wants down.  Then he starts crying and one of us has to carry him to the back until he quiets down and we return to our seats.  Repeat. 

Today the priest was getting into his Homily on Baptism (Today's Gospel was the Baptism of Jesus in the Jordan), and I was thinking about how the River Jordan doesn't look anything like I imagined from paintings when we hit the crying phase of the cycle.  And as Fr. Juan spoke about baptizing babies, our not-so-little baby began to cry.  "And that little baby is crying, 'Baptize me!'" Fr. Juan injected into his homily.

Every head turned our way.  Some laughter.  I was mortified, especially since he didn't stop crying and I had to pick him up and carry him to the back, feeling as though all eyes were on me.  I was very thankful for the mother in the back row with three young children who gave me a sympathetic smile.  Certainly, since there is no cry room or nursery, babies cry out in Mass all the time, and I know Father was just speaking in jest, but thank you little man for the uncomfortable moment!

Today wasn't the first time his behavior has drawn the attention of others.  A month or two ago we were in line for communion and he was playing with the pendant on my silver neck collar/choker.  Suddenly, he grabbed hold of the collar itself and yanked it as hard as he could, his arm flying over his head as it came off of my neck.  He must have been surprised that it actually came off, because he let go and it went flying...into the back of a lady's head.  She was three people in front of us!  Awesome.  I could have died as it clattered to the floor and she turned around to see what had smacked her in the back of the head.  Thankfully, she was very nice about the whole thing and didn't sue us for a head injury.  Whew!

Frederick, you keep me on my toes, but I sure do love your baby smiles.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

My opinion about kids in church is, if you belong to a Church that says you need to be open to life, you should expect kids to be present at Mass. I wouldn't worry about it too much, most people understand that you can't make a young child be quiet, all the time.

Elizabeth said...

Susan, I agree. I don't stress too much about it, but rather they call out someone else's kid for being noisy!

HappyAutisticMama said...

I've been taking the kids to daily mass and, my goodness, you'd think they never had kids there. I've had two busybodies in a month make some "helpful comment" about my kids/my parenting. It is so stressful! I have to just let it go.

Elizabeth said...

I was going with MC to daily mass for a while when she was a baby, but she was ALWAYS the only child there and every noise just seemed completely magnified. How do you do it with two? I really want to, but really can't imagine how it would work...

Helen said...

I just laughed out loud about the necklace. Even if he stresses you out, you have to admit that's hilarious!