Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Before I Forget

The worst thing about not blogging as often anymore, is that there are so many things I will forget if I don't write them down.  I already find myself remembering things I'd forgotten if I go back to the posts I wrote in the months after Charlotte was born. It makes me sad to realize that as fast as these years are flying by, I am already forgetting little things.  I can't even imagine my children being any age other than the present, so the pictures and videos provide invaluable glimpses into the things my memory has forgotten.

Charlotte, as three-year-olds will, continues to say things that make me smile and laugh.  The other day, as we were trying on Flower Girl dresses for Uncle Bruce's wedding, she said seriously, "Someday, when I'm bigger like Mommy, I might be a grown-up."

Equally important, it might due to remember the lessons I've learned.  Especially about the things NOT to do.  Most recently, for example, the kids and I slept until not long before Fred had to go to work...and I needed to take a shower.  Sometimes I get these dumb ideas like, They will be fine playing while I take a quick shower.  I mean, really, just because it has worked out once or twice before, doesn't mean it will work out again.  

We have a spacious bathroom, so I hauled the kids in and set them on the floor with some toys.  They played nicely there on the floor while I got the water going and was getting ready to hop in the shower.  As I'm getting ready to pull the door closed, Frederick comes toddling over and starts climbing into the shower.  Already wet myself, I decide to strip his PJs off and let him climb in with me.  Except he won't let me put him down on the floor, and Charlotte wants to join us.   After figuring out how to wash my hair with one hand and not drop the squirmy baby (and a near miss from getting soap in his eyes), and with the little people in tears, I had to get all of us out of the shower without one of us freezing to death, namely ME.  

So note to self, shower when someone else is home.