So no sooner had I published Monday's post than contractions kicked up to every 10 minutes and I found myself admitted to the Women's Assesment Floor at The Pavillion. While the babies looked great, the 5 contractions I had in 45 minutes did not. In the scariest bit of news I was starting to dilate, already at 1cm. Not terrible terrible, I felt at first, as I walked around very dilated for weeks before Frederick was born. But then, at 36-37 weeks, those occasional strings of productive contractions bring welcome signs that the end is near!
They put me on an oral medicine called procardia, 10 mg every 30 minutes, while monitoring my blood pressure, until the contractions slowed way down. After 6 hrs at the hospital my OB stopped by, confirmed that I hadn't further dilated, gave me two medications to keep contractions at bay while at home, and left orders for two steroid shots 24 hours apart. This meant that while I was being released from the hospital I also had to return Tuesday evening for another check that the meds were working and the second shot.
The steroid shot works for the babies' benefits, not mine. It speeds lung development and lessons the risk of brain bleeds should these babies come sooner than later. I feel some relief knowing they at least received this boost, but it is only good for 2 weeks. I still hope they stay put for longer than that!
It's been hard for me to cope with things are great to fighting off contractions with round the clock meds. I've already had to take the backup medicine (albuterol) that I hoped I wouldn't need. For whatever reason I seem to do well until just around noon and then the contractions kick into high gear. It has been this way since Saturday. For whatever reason they mellow out in afeternoon/ evening. This AM when I couldn't sleep they tried to kick up again, too, but my backup med worked right away.
So next part involves the daily wait and see. Will the meds keep working? How long will these three stay put? I don't know, but as much as I hate not knowing I really need them to grow more!
And I thank God for friends and family who are helping us get there!
2 comments:
I wish I could be there to help you, even though you have an army helping you, Fred, MC, and Frederick. Just know that you and your three babies are in my heart and prayers.
hugs, my friend
-Erin
Hang in there, you're doing great mama! I'm amazed by you every day when I read your posts. Almost there!!! Love, V
Post a Comment