So, you might think that given how little I do these days that I might hash out a few more blog posts. That, however requires sitting at the computer and I don't own a laptop (the iPad works only almost as well).
At 30 weeks along I feel as though time has slowed almost to a standstill. Before I was actually surprised by how quickly time passed, but suddenly I am huge and the days that I feel good are beginning to be outnumbered by the days that are harder to get through. My back often hurts, even with the use of a belly support band, and there is a spot near my ribs where baby B (maybe with some help from her sister A) kicks the bejeezus out of me. I keep expecting to lift up my shirt and see a big bruise!
Overall, though, feeling these babies move is such a blessing. They are strong and active! My belly bump is so full of baby that I can apply a little pressure anywhere on it and someone is bound to move! There are also so many legs and arms in there that they are constantly making little bumps on my belly; with a gentle push the hard spots float away into my belly only to push back out moments later. It is so hard to envision what life for them in there must be like!
I think about them floating in there and try to remember what MC and FC looked like as newborns, with their dark eyes and soft dark hair. Charlotte had a round little face while frederick's was not quite so full. Charlotte quickly looked like a beautiful infant while Frederick spent several months looking like an old man. Of course these are things I only noticed looking back at photos since I only saw beauty at the time. It is crazy to realize that THREE new little people with little distinct personalities will be here in just a matter of weeks!
As much as we want to meet them, they better stay put safe inside for at least a few more weeks. Sometimes I feel like I can do this for a long time more - 37 weeks would be healthy babies! Yet there are other times, like this weekend, when I just don't know how we are going to make it! After My last visit to the hospital three weeks ago, I am probably a little too hesitant to call in, as I don't want to be sent in for monitoring if everything is going to level out with rest and water. Yesterday, though, I was so close to making that call as I was having about 5 contractions an hour - close to six, which is supposed to be my cutoff for calling. Given I had that many for hours in a stretch, I probably should have called, but they were all over the place in strength and frequency and slowed down a little while after I took a nap. My sister and then my parents took the kids are keeping the kids foruntil things settle The contractions finally slowed to a more reasonable 4/hr with A TON of water and a warm bath. (I totally recommend a jacuzzi tub if you are pregnant!) This morning has found me lounging and drinking water, and the contractions have slowed to 2-3/hr, totally acceptable and what my body likes to do at the end of a pregnancy. It will just take some effort to ensure they don't pick up much so we can make it to 34 or 36 weeks.
36 weeks is my goal for this pregnancy, even though 32 weeks is average for triplets and 34 is considered full term. One of the books I read showed how drastically different lung development is between a 32, 34, and 36 week baby. Less developed lungs at birth, even though a baby may normally breathe without problems, leave the baby at risk for serious complications from things like RSV and colds. Since we already have two kids at home, the little germ carriers, I will breathe so much better myself knowing that this trio will have better lung development if I can carry them until 36 weeks. I also like knowing that they will spend less time (if any) in the NICU at that point and it will be easier to establish nursing then, too.
3 comments:
I am so happy to see a post from you! You are doing an amazing job of growing those babies. I am in awe of you. I hope the next few weeks go as smoothly as they can for you. I will keep you in my prayers.
Any chance you have taken a triplet belly pic!?!
Elizabeth, we are thinking about you, and praying that those babies stay put for a few more weeks. You are amazing...
Good luck!
I'm so glad you updated! You've actually been on my mind quite a bit- lots of prayers that those babies stay put for a while!
Post a Comment