Monday, September 24, 2012

Some Good Things

So, it's been a week since our brief stint at the hospital and I had a regularly scheduled appointment with my OB. The babies all look great in there, though crowded for space, and despite somewhat regular contractions, everything seems to be holding steady. When I asked if making it to 34 weeks was still a reasonable hope, my doctor said yes! She just wants me to rest as much as possible and reassured me that all of the contractions don't mean that I am necessarily laboring, but rather that my uterus doesn't like being so stretched out, especially given that I haven't continued to dilate.

The other piece of news that totally made my day: she supports me attempting a vaginal delivery! Not many doctors out there would be up for this, so I feel so blessed to have a doctor who would be willing to give it a try. I'll have to deliver in an OR with epidural placed, and babies B & C may do something crazy and flip head up after A is delivered, requiring some intervention for a breech delivery. Even in that scenario, things look good because baby A is close to the same size as the other two (not smaller) and I've had two successful deliveries at term. My body has already proven itself. In fact, if this was my first pregnancy, a vaginal delivery wouldn't be an option at all.  Of course, being in the operating room with epidural placed means that any or all of these babies could be easily and quickly delivered by c-section if necessary.

What a weight it would lift to be able to take care of my family soon after delivery rather than recover from surgery! Assuming NICU babies, I could be with them shortly after delivery, not hours later. How wonderful it would be to begin nursing and pumping for them shortly following their arrival. Even though anything could still happen, this is definitely one of those times when I'll hope for the best and prepare for the worst. Any prayers for a smooth, surgery-free delivery, are appreciated!

And, as I have been the baby bump photo slacker, 31 weeks, 4 days:

No comments: