Saturday, September 6, 2008

Coupons - I May Get Hooked

So recently, I've been pondering how to save more money. Cutting my paycheck in half by only going back to work part time strains the "would like to do" items in the budget. Add that to our increased grocery and gas bill, and Fred and I stared reevaluating our expenses.

I've seen several stories lately about people who save massive amounts of money using coupons. While that sounds great, in theory, who has time to tackle all of that?

Anyway, I read this article after an ABC news broadcast about a single mother of 3 who is only spending $800 for an ENTIRE YEAR's worth of both groceries and eating out. She mentioned that with her couponing habits, they can live the lifestyle of a dual income off of just one salary.

"Hmmm," I thought to myself, "interesting." If single mom with 3 kids and a job has time for coupons, shouldn't I have time with just one kid and only a part time job?

So this floated around the back of my mind today as I made a "quick trip" to HEB, intending to spend no more than $50. I decided to go with some of the in-store coupons, buying a few things that I would have otherwise passed by. I looked in dismay as my total at the register jumped up to $77. But then something amazing happened as the cashier scanned the coupons I'd simply collected in the store - my total kept dropping. I saved $8.14, just over 10%. What an exhilarating feeling to watch that number go DOWN in front of my eyes!

Of course, our meals this week will be a little different than I anticipated. With a little more research and a deep freezer, I might be hooked!

We'll let you know how it goes!

5 comments:

TXadventureGirl said...

there is some crazy program that teachs you how to shop and use coupons and sales to get the most for your money...I wish I could remember what it is called...maybe someone out there knows. It has been on all the news programs.

Vicki J. Dooly said...

I never know what to do about coupons b/c I buy a lot of store brands, ya know? For instance HEB has the best store brand products I've seen...so it's always a toss up as to whether buying the name brands with coupons will be more cost effective. Kinda have to take them on a case by case basis I guess.

A Perfect Pandemonium said...

If you start looking at the ads in the Sunday paper and clip the coupons, you can sometimes get things for nothing. The coupon jackpot is when there is a "buy on get on free" sale going on and you have a coupon for a "buy one get on free"...well you just got your self something for free and only have to pay the tax on them!! I am a coupon nerd...I used to think they were too much trouble but now it's something I look forward to on Sundays. We have more shampoo and deodorant than we know what to do with...but it has all been for free!!! With three little boys, I have to start learning how to shop the cheapest way now...they will be teenagers one of these days!!

Elizabeth said...

I think I'm going to have to start getting the Sunday paper. I like the idea of things for nothing - even if I only donate them later if I don't need them.

The lady on ABC is giving a class, but we'll be out of town :-(

Tasha said...

Elizabeth, you're going to love this... check out The Grocery Game (www.thegrocerygame.com). Some coworkers who have twins knew I would love it (with my naturally frugal ways) and they think it's great and if you stay on top of it, it works!! Check it out and let me know what you think!