Thursday, October 21, 2010

My Three Year Old

There are some days that I look at my baby boy as I enjoy his rambling bables and cringe a little as I realize this moment will not last forever, and someday, he too will be three. 

I'm not going to lie.  Parenting a three year old is a lot tougher than parenting a nine month old.  It requires a lot more patience than I ever imagined.  It requires a lot more patience than I have on some days.  The more hours I work (and I have been working quite a bit more in recent months), the less patience I have.  It is hard to come home from work to plunge right into childcare and dinner prep without any time to decompress.   I don't know how moms who work full time manage.  I don't know how I manage.

It's draining to be drained and then pulled by a three year old that just wants the attention of her Mommy.

But she is a bright and amazing little girl.  And I am going to stop complaining about being tired, and try to squeeze out a few more drops of patience when I think mine is about out.   She says some of the craziest, cutest things and I hardly remember to find them hilarious anymore.  So, in an effort to remember the crazy things my sweet little girl says, I'm going to write more of them down to share here. You know, like I did in the good old days. 

Charlotte to me while I was watching the opening scene to a new TV series just before taking her to bed:
"Mommy, what is this terrible movie?" - How do you really feel about it, Charlotte?

As we passed an empty carnival in an old mall parking lot: "Mommy, why is that carnival so sad?"

And sometimes, I  have to wonder, where in the heck does she come up with this stuff:  "Oh my goodness of the earth!"

Then, there was the other morning, when we were with our Mom's group and she broke away from the kids she was playing with, ran over to me, and proclaimed, "Mommy, I love you!" and scampered back to her games.

I love you, Charlotte!

2 comments:

alison said...

those are too cute! i love reading these types of quotes. the world through a 3 year old's eyes must be a strange place!

Elizabeth said...

I've also been debating posting my most embarrassing 3 year old moment.

Hilarious, but I was mortified.