Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Dear Frederick

 Dear Frederick,

Today is your third birthday; you are two years old!  Over the last year you have gone from baby to rambunctious toddler.  You started the year with barely a handful of words and at two you are almost as much of a talker as your sister was at the same age.   Even then, you've said such sentences as, "I close the door, Mommy!" and often string together two to three word phrases.  While you speak all the time, much of the time it is hard to understand you, and sometimes I only understand your words in context.  I love watching you learn how to talk.  I love seeing that you know your colors, shapes, and have already started counting.  You enjoy big block puzzles and love to color with markers.


You smile an absolutely contagious little grin, always with a little twinkle of mischief in your eyes.  Your laughter often rings through the house as you play with your sister.  Nothing gives me more joy than to watch the two of you play together. Sometimes you fight, it is true, but most of the time, you are best friends and co-conspirators, and I love that.  I hope I never forget the sound of your little voice saying, "Come-on, Cha-yette!" as you race off on some little adventure.  I think about what great gifts you are to each other - that,  God willing, someday when you are grown and Daddy and I are gone, you will still have each other.



And what can I say about the cars, trucks, tractors, and trains that have invaded our house?  Oh, wow have they ever invaded; the toy closet overflows with them!  Sometimes you line them up on the floor in a row and soar your monster truck in the air over them for a few moments before crashing the truck down on top of the cars.  One little truck traveled all the way to Virginia with us this summer where you pushed it around on the ground anywhere and everywhere.  In Yorktown? Check! While touring Jamestown? Check! Walking through Williamsburg? Of course!  You have even been known to take a car or two to bed with you at night.

Before I met you, I thought 2 year olds were too busy for much snuggling, but you have proved me wrong by being the best snuggler I know.  You like to snuggle up to me in our bed in the mornings, cozy up in my arms as you wake from your nap, and demand hugs intermittently throughout your playtime.You make my heart melt.


Frederick, you are a blessing in our lives and we love you very much.

Love always,

Mommy


1 comment:

michele. said...

this post brought tears to my eyes!