True story. Most of the time I make sure my kids eat healthier than I do. Sometimes I fail.
Recently we had dinner with some friends. The kids didn't eat all of their meat so rather than throw out the leftovers I decided to save them in a plastic baggie and take them home as a little treat for Maddie.
The next day we had one of those crazy moments where we were in traffic and the kids were getting restless in the backseat. In a hurry, I reached into my bag and grabbed for the plastic bag that I'd filled with crackers. "Here, Charlotte," I said, "can you please share these with your brother."
"Okay."
A moment later. "Mommy, what are these?"
"They are crackers, honey." (I'm focused on the road.)
"I've never seen crackers like these before."
"Charlotte, they are pita crisp crackers. You eat them all the time."
Silence in the backseat as I focus on the traffic.
Hmm. Something smells good, but I can't place it.
"Frederick, you really have to chew it," Charlotte pipes from the back seat.
And suddenly, I realize, Steak, it smells like steak!
"Noooo! DON'T EAT THAT! Charlotte, that's steak, not crackers! Ohh, get it back from your brother and put it back in the bag. Oh goodness. Let me find the crackers."
Fortunately, neither of them had any problems relinquishing the day-old meat.
Somehow, despite my failures, my children continue to survive, thank God!
No comments:
Post a Comment