Saturday morning we crawled out of bed into a chilly house, and Fred decided to get the fireplace going. After going for years without it without complaining, my darling husband noted that we can't ever live in a house without a fireplace again. Ha!
Once the fire was blazing, Fred and I curled up on the couch with our coffees while Charlotte helped Frederick with a puzzle on the floor. It was one of those perfect moments that make the screaming, lack of sleep, tantrums, and never-ending cleaning worth it. In fact, if it weren't for the rest of the chaos that usually happens around here, I don't know those perfect moments would be just as special. If it was just me and Fred on the couch sharing coffee in front of a fire would it be nice? Perhaps. Would I cherish it as much and want to burn the image into my memory? Probably not.
I am certain too, that this is why, once children are gone, that parents look back and remember parenthood fondly - the special moments stand out while the crying and tantrums all just blend together in the background, half forgotten.
No comments:
Post a Comment