Then, one of the most amazing things happened, one of my favorite things about being a parent and living life with my own children: I spent fifteen minutes in my childhood memories as I watched Charlotte make hers. We curled up in her bed with Mac and Tab, and Charlotte began to read her first book, and it all happened just as I remembered.
She carefully sounded out each word with hints and tips from me as she needed them. After she worked her way through each sentence she put the words together in neat form to make a complete thought. She knows more words than I imagined and yet stumbles in more places than I would have guessed. Yet I remember sitting with my Mom in the blue chair in the living room and reading my first book to her. I think it was The Gingerbread Man, but who knows. It took me forever to get through that first reading, but Mom patiently helped me with each sound and word. And by the time we'd finished I'd/she'd read the whole book, all 10 or 12 pages. I was proud then, because I read my first book; I was proud the other night because Charlotte had just read hers. Life really is a circle, isn't it?
My little reader was proud of herself, too.


2 comments:
amazing... I don't remember my first book, but what a special time for her, and such a great beginning to her education. As an English teacher, I am so excited for her! (and for you, whose child is getting a great head start to her learning).
Of course, she's now read two books and doesn't seem to have any more interest. I think I'm going to have to create a reward system to get her excited. And keep talking it up, of course :-)
Post a Comment