Sunday, April 22, 2007

Have you gotten any weird cravings?

This is one of the questions that Elizabeth and I are frequently asked. I guess people expect something like pickles and ice cream or fish and peanut butter, but both of our taste buds love so many different types of food that there is nothing weird to crave. We'll almost try anything. The only strong craving that Elizabeth had was Vietnamese egg rolls, but that only lasted a couple of weeks.

One of the cool things about having a pregnant wife is that you have somebody who can be the dominant decision maker when it comes to food. I usually lay down the "I'm not pregnant"-excuse so I don't have to decide. Sometimes it's easy to come up with a place to go. But, there are many times when we get frustrated with each other because we want the other person to make a decision on where to eat. We have frequent conversation that go like this:

Elizabeth: So where would you like to eat?
Me: I dunno. You decide.
Elizabeth: No, I asked you first.
Me: Well, I want your opinion. What do you feel like eating?
Elizabeth: I don't feel like making the decision, besides you're hungrier than me.
Me: Well, there's Mexican food, burgers, Chinese, Vietnamese, Greek food........
Elizabeth: Nah, I don't feel like eating at any of those places. I want something healthy and light.

The discussion usually ends with me picking a place where I know Elizabeth will not want to go or suggesting that we eat PB&J at home so that I don't have to make the decision. I guess I should be nicer to my pregnant wife.

No comments: