So yesterday, walking through the hall at work, a woman that I don't see very often (she's generally not around the Houston office) told me she had a story to tell me. As we were headed in opposite directions, she promises to catch me a little later. In my head I'm thinking about the last project I worked on with her and what may have happened that she needed to tell me about.
About an hour later she finds me in my cubicle and proceeds to tell me this story, not realizing I'd not only heard it already from a different perspective as well as partially witnessed it.
This is what happened a few weeks ago:
Charlotte comes with me to work more often than not, although I leave her with Beta if I intend to be in the office for more than an hour or so (usually once a week or so). A few weeks ago I had to take her up there with me for a little while to look over some proofs with my manager. Some of the other ladies up there will always eagerly play with her for a few minutes, so they were keeping her amply entertained just outside the door. I hear another woman walk over and hear her say, "Who's little girl is this? She's precious." They respond, "This is Elizabeth's little girl."
Later, one of the ladies tells me that a woman they didn't know walked past where they were playing and Charlotte took off chasing her down the hall. When the lady heard Charlotte racing up behind her, she turned around and squatted down as Charlotte ran into her arms and gave her a big hug. My coworker seemed surprised that Charlotte would give such a big hug to someone she didn't know.
Jump forward to yesterday, and the coworker who flagged me down recounted the same event. My career-driven coworker's version, however, included her amazement and awe at little Charlotte's big loving hug. She marveled at how amazing it must be to have that to come home to. She told me how she'd never wanted children before, but after that day with Charlotte, she has realized that she might actually want to have a child of her own.
The story brought tears to my eyes. I don't know if this woman will ever have children, but am non the less amazed at the profound effect my sweet little girl unknowingly has on those around her.
1 comment:
Amazing! This goes to show that the best way to evangelize is in the way we live our lives. For my family, it can be frustrating with a little one in Mass every day; however, David has taught me not to lose my cool in public. He said he doesn't want other young adults or couples looking at us and thinking "wow it's so difficult to be a parent." He wants others to see the GOOD that comes from marriage and children, for it is our way to battle the culture of death. God bless your beautiful family!
Post a Comment