So I woke up this morning with that feeling. You know the sore-throat, coughing, heavy-chested, feeling after you've spent a whole day trying to convince yourself that you are NOT getting sick and that it is JUST allergies? Yeah, that one.
Thankfully, Charlotte slept in until 8 (a small Christmas Miracle), which allowed me a few minutes to lay in bed feeling sorry for myself. I may have also experienced a contraction and instructed Little Bug to stay put where he is; there is no way I would have been able to manage THAT today as well.
Around 9 I decided that with only 3 days left to get ready for Christmas celebrating, and the lack of milk in the fridge, that we needed to get out and do some shopping. By 10 we are both dressed and walking out the door. I carry my things to the car as Charlotte stops to investigate something left in the cup holder of a lawn chair. She doesn't come when I call.
Guess what? She found and opened a bottle of bubbles, and in the process spilled the soapy liquid all over her pants. I must confess that my first thought was, "It will dry, it will be okay," and picked her up to carry her to the car. At the car, however, I saw the damage really couldn't be ignored, turned off the car, locked my stuff inside, and ran back into the house to change her pants.
In the car and on our way 20 minutes after first setting about walking out the door, I decide to swing by the mall first to pick up that last gift card. Charlotte and I like to go to this mall, because it has a great indoor
And find more of the same. While it isn't too crazy, every Mom is there with her 3 kids who are off for Christmas Break.
Blueberries and strawberries are on sale; I ask MC which she'd like. "Blueberries!" and then she demands to hold them. I cave. Then I remember I haven't asked my Mom what she needs me to bring for Christmas Dinner. On the phone with her I find out all the easy stuff is already taken. I opt for squash casserole, but can't remember the recipe. As Mom tries to help me remember what's in it (all I could come up with is carrots and pimento), Charlotte drops the blueberry carton on the floor.
Blueberries go everywhere.
I should have seen that coming, I know.
I get my 8.5 month pregnant body down on the ground in the middle of the produce section and start scooping up the blueberries that haven't already been squashed by passing carts. One lady kindly tells me that I should just call someone to come clean it up for me. However, no HEB employee in sight, I figured my way would be faster and result in less squashed blueberries. I gratefully thanked one of the Christmas Break kids who gave me a hand.
I spend 10 minutes with the olives and pickles looking for a jar of pimentos, no luck. Again, no nearby employee to ask. Fred doesn't know it yet, but I decide to send him to the store later for pimentos.
The phone rings, and I bite Fred's head off when he says he thought I was going to stay home in bed. He just wanted to know if he could bring me lunch. Poor Fred.
Headed to checkout I forgot to look through HEB's gift card selection, something I'd decided to do after skipping the mall. Oops.
In the parking lot I call Fred back to apologize and take him up on his lunch offer. Charlotte loses a shoe and her hair bow at the same time. Shoe and bow restored, cart unloaded, I push the cart between two cars towards the nearest cart return.
And squash Charlotte's finger between the car and the cart. I abandon the cart (something I never do with a cart return nearby) and buckle a crying MC into the car seat. Though there is no blood, only a band-aid will make it better. Band-Aid secure, we leave the parking lot.
And then spend 5 minutes getting back into the busy parking lot because I realize I've left my cell phone in the shopping cart.
Anything else on the list got scratched and we came home. I found a big stain on the side of my shirt, apparently transferred bubble solution from Charlotte's earlier mishap. Glad I only walked around HEB like that and not the Mall too. Fred brought bun which always makes me feel better. I napped and did little else with the rest of my day.
So let's now say good night to Monday.
Good Night!
2 comments:
Oh dear, you had quite a bad case of the Mondays! i must say, you are a hero in my book for putting up with all that even while feeling sick. i hope are feeling better today.
hugs
-erin
OH my gosh girl - so sorry. You'll read that post in a few months and giggle as much as I did. :-) Until then, hope you feel better and that life settles down! BTW, I could totally see myself writing a post like that.
Post a Comment