Saturday, December 12, 2009

Settled in for the Wait

Tomorrow marks the first day of my 38th week of pregnancy; with 37 full weeks behind me, I'll be considered full term.  YAY!  Unfortunately, Charlotte and medical science had different opinions on full term, so I am all too aware that "full term" means 5 weeks of "this baby could come at any time!"  This time, however, I'm prepared not to expect a baby until my due date or beyond.  Except for the part where I secretly hope he'll* come sooner.   The regular braxton hicks contractions that started around week 16 and have only gotten more frequent and stronger, manage to keep that hope alive (blast it).  *or she!

There is nothing like a few hours of contractions 10 minutes apart to convince me that indeed, it is time to make sure the hospital bag is (mostly) packed.  Unfortunately, having my bags "ready to go" doesn't seem to work for me, as there are last minute things that I'll need to pull together, but the important things are all now neatly piled either in a bag or on top of it.

Mostly I can hardly believe we are at the end.  Some days it feels like I've been pregnant forever!  I'm dying to know if the little monkey in there is a boy or a girl.  I must have been comfortably certain Charlotte would be a girl, because I don't recall quite the suspense.   Mostly I think of this baby as a boy, but I don't know why, so that has me second guessing myself.  Either way, I'm quite sure I'll do some gender-related shopping for this peanut as soon as I feel up to getting out of the house.  :-)

1 comment:

Vicki J. Dooly said...

Not long now...just hang in there! I can't believe it's time already!!! Time has FLOWN by this year...so crazy! Can't wait to find out the sex either...:-)