Sunday, June 17, 2007

Happy Father's Day!

31 Weeks, 5 Days
We are getting closer! I am so happy to be on the home stretch - even if the baby decides to show up early, even though we aren't ready, chances are that everything will work out better. My belly is really getting bigger! Suddenly everyone is noticing my belly again and asking when I am due. I have even had a few people say I look like I'm about to go any day. Unfortunately, I know the truth, and that is the belly and the baby have more growing to do before Baby Sanchez makes his entrance.
Yesterday Fred and I went to our childbirth class at The Motherhood Center. It was a pretty good class. I've done a ton of reading up to this point, so a lot of the information about the stages of labor and what to expect wasn't totally new information, but I did learn many new things from the teacher's (a L&D nurse and mom) experiences. Crazy though, some of the women there looked a little unprepared for what is about to happen to all of us! We did learn some new things and had a chance to practice different breathing and focusing techniques that Fred and I are going to continue to practice here at home. We used ice to help us learn how to use movement, breathing, and focusing during contractions. Fred would put the ice bag in my hand for the length of a contraction (60-85 seconds), and I had to use any of the methods we learned to keep my mind off of the fact that my hand was FREEZING. We need to practice more so we can better work as a team. We got to use exercise balls too as labor aids, and now I want one for early labor here at home - AND for working on getting my abs back after the baby comes! I plan on getting an epidural, but want to hold off on having one as long as possible since that can slow down labor.


3 comments:

Tasha said...

Happy Father's Day, Fred! So exciting!! Elizabeth, your belly is so cute and you look great! :-)

Elizabeth said...

Thanks! I'm happy now that the growth of my belly is outpacing the growth of the rest of me :-), though I fear the summer heat will not let me avoid cankles by the end. Oh well.

Vicki J. Dooly said...

Yeah I'm in agreement - you're too cute and fabulous for words! Loved the bits about the childbirth class - haha! Not long now! ;-)