Thursday, February 19, 2009

Misery

So, I have a post in my drafts that I started Tuesday. It will include photos from our trip to Baton Rouge that I couldn't get to upload to my photobucket account, so it is on hold.

Yesterday was my birthday. It was a good day. Fred opted to stay home and I had a pedicure, lunch with my mom at Arturo's, and a massage at Massage Envy. Fred's day was not so good.

In the wee hours of the morning, Charlotte woke with a high fever. She did not eat well the day before and had a cold last week. Ear infection? That must be it, I thought. I made arrangements for Fred to take her to the pediatrician and went on my way.


Decidedly NOT an ear infection. She has Hand, Foot, and Mouth Disease. What is that, you may ask? One of the most TERRIBLE things I've encountered so far as a mom. She has sores inside her mouth (and some on her feet and hands). The sores in her mouth make it so she hurts when she tries to eat, drink, or take medicine. This afternoon I also noticed little blisters on her fingers and feet.

Today she's had maybe 14 ounces of milk and water (with 8 of those just before bedtime), the insides of a few oreo cookies, a few bites of ice cream, and some goldfish.

The worst part is trying to keep her medicated. Since yesterday we've gone through a bottle of infant motrin, half a bottle of children's tylenol with codeine and 4 of my t-shirts that are covered with more medicine than ever made it into her. It is awful. As much as I've tried in vain, an 18-month-old will not be reasoned with; the codeine tastes terrible, so I don't see anyway around forcing that down her throat. I tried laying off of it and just sticking with the motrin, but the majority of the foods and fluids I listed above she would only down tonight after Fred and I managed to get something that may have been close to an acutal dose into her.

Today has been a rough day, and I'm not hopeful that tomorrow will be much better. Maybe if I can get enough pain killers in her and at least keep her hydrated, we'll both be happier.

And so long as I don't catch the darn thing myself (would be my luck to catch something that small children are most likely to get).

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

poor baby! i hope shes feeling better!

Anonymous said...

So sad! I hope she feels better soon!

HappyAutisticMama said...

:-( We'll pray she gets better fast!!!