Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Denial

I won't buy myself soft drinks to keep in the house.  They are packed with huge amounts of sugar and no nutritional value, not to mention the caffeine content that I'm supposed to be avoiding in pregnancy.  As I try to clip my way to a tiny grocery budget, the price tag on a case of soft drinks just seems like a ridiculous addition, since you usually need to spend $12 to get 3-5 cases.   I rather spend my $12 on a lb of Sockeye Salmon.

But then, what do I do?  EVERY time I leave the house I wonder where I can get my Coke or Dr. Pepper fix for the day.   Buy a can at the office?  Maybe on the way out of the grocery store?  At a restaurant?  Can I snag one at my Mom's house when I swing by to pick up Charlotte?  Somehow, I usually manage to drink 1 soft drink a day (unless I splurge on a decaf Mocha from Starbucks).

So when I passed up the deal for 5 cases for $12 last week, I passed up a deal for $.20 a can.  Seeing that I manage to get my soft drink/caffeine fix every day anyway at anywhere from  $.50 to $2.50 a pop, maybe I need to re-evaluate the situation honestly.

I am a soft drink addict.   If I want to save money, I should just give them up all together buy them at the grocery store and only drink them at home.

Whew.  I feel relief to get that off my chest.

10 comments:

Unknown said...

I know what you mean, I kind of do the same thing. I think stuff is too expensive at the store, but then I pay more buying it out or individually.

Helen said...

I'm trying to give it up completely. It's incredibly hard. At walmart they sell flavored sparking water that helped me a lot last year--but I don't shop at walmart here!

Fred said...

I don't like where this is going. Didn't we watch "Supersize Me" not too long ago? Forgot? Well, here's a reminder:

http://images53.fotki.com/v1578/photos/3/385788/3589033/f3-vi.jpg

I'd prefer to have no junk food in the house.

Vicki J. Dooly said...

LOL I feel ya, E. I haven't bought Cokes to keep on hand since college. But apparently I have NO problem paying 3x as much to get one on the run. It makes no logical sense for smart educated women like us to be doing this...sigh.

Erin said...

i gave up my addiction to sodas about 4 years ago. boy it was tough! now, i never want one. it takes some time to get used to it though.
i believe there will be a new "sin" tax placed on sodas in the coming year.....

Erin said...

p.s. i just looked at the link Fred provided and OH MY GOSH! how heartbreaking but utterly DISGUSTING.

Elizabeth said...

I should totally give them up for good, I know. I guess if I do buy a bunch, I won't tell Fred. So bad.

Elizabeth said...

OR I could just keep Oreos in the house. I stopped stocking them too...

What is a pregnant lady with a sweet tooth to do?

Erin said...

Oreos/milk over sodas anyday! Hands-down!

Zharleen said...

My eating habits definitely improved after moving in w/ the girls. We don't usually keep soda in the house, so that helps. And I feel retarded paying more than a dollar for a soda outside the house (unless I'm at a restaurant, but then I'm usually shamed into getting water anyway, haha). Every now and then I'll get a huge craving and give in and buy an individual bottle while grocery shopping. Also another huge motivating factor: my hot trainer will stay off my case about it if I don't drink it. :)