Friday, September 4, 2009

Toilet Training

Or lack there of, as it may be in this case...

I've read a few things here and there on this topic, but nothing very long or comprehensive. Some things I've tried have totally failed (a sticker on a chart holds no excitement for my 2 year old). Promises of a sticker for sitting on the potty just send Charlotte running to sit on the potty every 5 minutes for another sticker. I know lack of consistency on my part hasn't helped things, but sometimes I think she's afraid to go on the potty.

We've spent a fair amount of bare-bottom time around the house, and she always waits until I am just around the corner to make a mess on the floor. She will literally do the "tinkle dance" with her hand on her crotch but either refuse to sit on the potty or sit on the potty and not go - only to go on the floor a minute or two later. If she's sitting down (like in her booster seat) she'll make only a little mess, go with me to the potty, do nothing, and then finish her business on the floor 2 minutes later. This morning I even put her on the potty as soon as she woke up and she cried for her diaper as she was sitting there.

For now, I've decided to go bare bottom any time we are at home. If you google potty training or look for information on it, you get a zillion different places to spend your money and end up with a potty trained kiddo. Since I'm not willing to dole out all kinds of my hard earned cash just to come up with a program that works for us, does anyone have any suggestions on a good potty training book/technique?

5 comments:

A Perfect Pandemonium said...

My advise, just wait until she's ready to do it. That is what I have learned. They'll do it when they want to. My two year old is terrified of the toilet. I hate that some kids his age are already potty trained but one thing I have been told over and over again is "no kid wears diapers in kindergarten...they'll get it when they get it but they WILL get it!"

That's all I got for ya :)

Elizabeth said...

Oh, Ashley, things I keep hearing but don't want to hear!

We're going to push hard for a few days and see if we can make some progress, otherwise we'll try again in 6-8 weeks or so.

Since most of our cloth diapers are one size, I have new plans for them in January...

Connie V said...

Augustine was 2.5 years old when he weaned himself from nursing and diapers. It happened very quickly. I was pregnant with #2 and simply told him that he was a big boy, that mommy was going to have another baby, and only babies nurse and wear diapers. After 1 week, he was weaned and potty trained, but we think it is because he was really ready to do it. I agree with Ashley's advise. However, I also believe there is credibility to potty training programs, such as elimination communication, and they have proven to work for many families. I encourage you to do what is best for your family. Even within a family, every child is different. GOOD LUCK!

Anonymous said...

I was a huge fan of "Once apon a Poo" - but, I think I was a fan years later when I rediscovered the book and had "shit-loads" of laughs from re-reading the book w/ my friends.

Elizabeth said...

Yeah, I don't think it should be a painful process. I'm going to tuck the potty away for 4-6 weeks and not say anything about it between now and then...