When MC and I were diagnosed with swine flu this summer, my initial shock was followed by a good feeling as we quickly recovered. I was pleased that we both had the chance to build natural immunity. "Great!" I thought, "No little-tested vaccine for us!"
But that is not what I'm hearing from my OB's office or MC's pediatrician. My OB's office is recommending the vaccine outright, even though I've already had H1N1. Charlotte's pediatrician sill recommended it, but also promised to speak with the immunoligist at TCH about how much protection Charlotte's bout with swine flu may have given her.
Everything I've read mentions how much more likely pregnant women are to suffer extreme side effects and death from the swine flu, yet no one knows what unknown side effects the vaccine might have on an unborn baby. After spending months and months avoiding any drug other than Tylenol, I cannot get comfortable with taking a vaccine that will require 2 doses. Really? The government at medical community is eagerly pushing this on pregnant women?
If I hadn't already contracted the disease, perhaps I would be considering swine flu with more concern, but for now, it's going to take a lot of convincing to get me to take the shot or let Charlotte have it. Am I the only one who thinks this a bit hasty? Anyone else have any thoughts or information that I may not have considered?
3 comments:
I have no information about the vaccination. i work in healthcare and quite frankly noone knows anything about the potential side effects of the vaccination. While i view vaccinations as a good thing (generally) i do become very skeptical about taking anything when there hasnt been a long standing clinical trials nor hasnt been on the market for many MANY years.
with that being said, my first knee-jerk decision is "absolutley not!". However i keep finding myself really considering getting the shots because "what if" i get pregnant during the n1h1 and flu season. Would it be best to go ahead and take the shots now while not pregnant and already arming myself with antibodies or wait and play russian roulette and possibly becoming pregnant and catching the flu (both real possibilities).
i would love to get your thoughts as well.
oh, something to keep an eye on is the possibility of China having a vaccination that requires only ONE shot.
Erin, I think I would be much more tempted to take the shot if I were not pregnant. I might see about taking it after the baby arrives, to give the new baby added protection. That said, I've had great luck nursing while sick and MC not showing a single symptom because my milk was giving her the exact protection she needed.
Elizabeth,
thanks for your thoughts. Please keep me updated on what you end up doing concerning the shot(s). Again, i value your experiences as wondeful learning lessons.
-Erin
Post a Comment