Sunday, January 11, 2009

Living Room Success!

Success!

Yesterday I tackled one of our two living areas (the second "living area" being a bedroom that we use as an office/tv room). We usually keep this room fairly clear of clutter, although it has seen it's fair share of messes. This means I didn't have to do any major organizing in this room - just finding a home for everything elsewhere in the house (which means I will end up worrying about where it actually goes later this week!).

Living Areas Daily Cleaning:
  • Pick up crumbs and dust bunnies
  • Fluff the cushions and fold the throws
  • Wipe tabletops
  • Put away toys
  • Straighten up coffee tables and stray items

Living Areas Weekly Cleaning:

  • Dust all surfaces - including electronics, books, picture frames, window sills, ledges, and tops of door frames
  • Vacuum floors and rugs
  • Vacuum pillows
  • Wipe switch plates, doorknobs, and doorjambs
  • Vacuum AC vents
  • Launder Maddie's bed
Living Room on a Messy Day (day after Fred's 30th Birthday):

Before:

Hall Tree, before:

Ahhh, clutter free!



Now, our second living area will take MUCH more time to get organized, just because we spend so much time in this room. It houses all of Charlotte's toys and our paperwork (filing has gotten seriously out of hand...). I did take a few minutes to adjust the bottom shelf on this bookshelf so Charlotte can no longer reach the videos and strew them across the floor. A step in the right direction, anyway!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are very brave to post Before photos! I couldn't do that. :)

one of my goals is to be better about keeping the house picked up and keeping the kitchen clean. Also, to mop at least once a week. Cleaning sometimes takes a back seat to other more fun stuff. So far this year we have been doing pretty well.

I still have a far way to go in cleaning drawers, organizing the pantry, and cleaning out the guest bedroom.

Elizabeth T-B said...

Wow, that looks great! We have a chore chart at our house for the weekly tasks, but I need to work on straightening a little every day.

Elizabeth said...

Ahh, I have taken almost a whole house full of before photos, but refuse to post them until I have an after photo to go with it :-)

Straightening a little each day seems to be making a difference around here, even with the unorganized clutter that I haven't yet attacked!

Anonymous said...

Elizabeth,
I just had to reference this post to see if there were things I was forgetting about in my daily cleaning! It's hard to keep up the motivation to spend the few minutes each day in each room - being clean is a real time committment! Hope yours is still going well!