Friday, January 2, 2009

Target Tantrum

So, Charlotte had her first, official, public tantrum today at Target. We'd already run a couple of errands that took longer than I'd anticipated, so I wasn't shocked when she wanted down from the shopping cart after 10 minutes while I debated which storage bins I wanted to buy. No harm in an aisle full of plastic bins, so I let her down until I made my selections. When I finished, I asked her to hold my hand while I pushed the cart down and out of the aisle. She wanted none of that; she wanted to push the cart (a distraction I've used before at the end of a long grocery trip). She pushes on a bar on the bottom; I push at the top.

Then the end of the aisle came, and on the cap I saw a better option than what I'd already picked, so I asked Charlotte to stop pushing and tried to guide her towards the set of bins. Cue temper-tantrum. She screamed so loud I'm sure people must have thought I was pinching her! Big fat tears rolled down her cheeks and she arched her back and dropped to the floor.

And me, being the big, mean mommy that I am, I laughed at her. I'm terrible. Anyway, once I finished laughing and trying to explain she could push the cart in a minute, I realized I needed a new tactic. Telling her that the bin was stuck, and that I needed her help so we could take it back to the cart seemed to do the trick. Tear-fest instantly over.

I am sure this is JUST the beginning.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This sounds so familiar! If I don't have to get a cart at Target, then I use her stroller and have an arsenal of snacks and cup.

Don't worry I laugh at my daughter's tantrums too. :)