Thursday, January 1, 2009

Well, Hello, 2009!

What happened to 2008? I do not think I remember a year passing so quickly. At first, when I thought about 2008, I found little to rejoice in - no major life changes, no major accomplishments or obvious growth, especially when compared to the past several years. How busy they all have been!

2003
I graduated from Texas A&M, backpacked through Europe for 2 months, started working at CECO, paid my own rent for the first time, and met my husband.

2004
On a whirlwind trip to Rome, I stood with just my family (okay and a few religious) in the Sistine Chapel, wandered daily through the Vatican, attended the elevation of Fr. Michael Miller to Archbishop Miller, and kissed the ring of Pope John Paul II during a papal audience. Before the year ended, Fred asked me to be his wife.

2005
I spent the year preparing for our wedding - buying a gown, attending parties in our honor, creating our first home together, and partying in Las Vegas with some of my best friends. Fred began working at his current company. We traveled to Isla Mujeres, Mexico.

2006
Fred and I married. We honeymooned in Paradise (Caneel Bay, St. John, USVI). Family vacations took us to Watercolor, Florida, Greece, and Israel. I renewed my baptismal vows in the Jordan River, and we participated in Mass at the tomb of Jesus. We moved from our apartment into a house. We conceived Charlotte.

2007
We left US soil again to visit Cabo, Mexico and discovered how unprepaired we were for the life changes brought by the birth of Mary Charlotte. Fred received a promotion at work for a job he loves.

So, after all of those life-changing moments and exciting vacations out of the country, it seemed 2008 found us riding in the slow lane. My first reaction? Make plans to resolution 2009 back up to speed!

Then I realized, the best moments of 2008 don't make flashy headlines in the chornicle of my life, but rather, they added strength to my foundation - my family.

2008 - The Best Moments

Staying with Fred and Charlotte at the Boadmoore in Colorado Springs and playing in more snow than I'd ever seen at one time.
Traveling to Virginia to spend time with family that we don't see nearly enough.
Taking time to be tourists in our own city.
Taking Charlotte to the beach for the first time when we stayed with the Knickerbockers in Corpus Christi.
Celebrating Christy's engagement to her long-time boyfriend, Brian, and Fiona's marriage to Todd.
Living through Hurricane Ike.
Surviving without power for 8 days.
Traveling to Hershey, PA with Fred and Charlotte.
Spending time with friends and family during the holidays.
Celebrating Fred's 30th birthday.

Then, of course, there are all things Charlotte:
Learning that her spica cast would come off after only 6 weeks.
Watching her crawl for the first time.
Receiving big slobbery kisses and gentle hugs.
Watching Charlotte take her first step at 10-1/2 months old. Watching her forgo crawling completely less than a month later.
Watching Charlotte toss up her hands to sign "all done," the first words she ever communicated to us.
Hearing her say her first word, Ma-Ma for both Maddie and Mommy, followed by ba for bird and ball, dada for Daddy and then by countless more.
Savoring each and every moment my precious daughter smiled at me and ran into my arms.

Although our plans for 2009 promise to step things up a bit, 2008, for us, will be remembered for the slower pace and all of these precious moments marking a life worth living.

2 comments:

alison said...

oh i like this post too. you should do another on the 2009 plans!

Elizabeth said...

It's on the list! But I've been so busy working on my cleaning and organizing resolution, I haven't had time to put all my thoughts together on 2009! Soon, I hope.