Well, not really of course.
It's just, I can't count the number of times I've said to a warm little bundle in my arms, "Oh, I could just eat you up!" Or maybe I say Frederick's little toes are so "yummy."
One of my favorite things to do to make Charlotte laugh is pretend like I'm eating her arm or attacking her neck, "Nom, nom, nom, nom."
Really, where does this stuff come from? I know I am not the first to say such things. Fred thinks it's all pretty creepy. Creepy, as in Martha Stewart thought it would be fun to have Halloween show featuring babies in food costumes. Not so much cute as creepy, but the idea must come from somewhere, right?
I love my kids so much, sometimes it really feels like I want to consume them somehow. Not actually eat them, but hold them so close that they just become part of me. Is that because not so very long ago they actually were a part of me? Or maybe they are just so sweet and innocent I just wish that I could capture that somehow.
I am not alone in this, right? Treading this fine line between perfectly normal and creepy, I mean...
Please tell me if I am crazy so I can seek some professional help...you know, before I start nibbling on some of Frederick's toes.
6 comments:
I don't think you're alone. Heck...sometimes I feel that way about Justin - and he's my nephew!!! I can only imagine that feeling to be 100x stronger when it's your own child.
(Did I earn a $30 mental health co-pay for this comment?) ;-)
That Martha Stewart Video is CREEEEPY!
I heard somewhere that the "eat you up" somehow relates back to cannibalism. Who knows.
But no, you're not alone.
You are absolutely not alone on this one. they are just too cute sometimes. especially those little toes and feet. :)
Loving someone so much that you want them to be a part of you sounds very theology of the body to me.
Also, I don't think it's creepy. Whenever there's a cute, chubby baby around, my parents go all kinds of gaga over him/her and start speaking in Tagalog baby talk, w/ the word "tacaw" or "matacaw" (omg, I'm so spelling this phonetically! My Tagalog spelling is HORRIBLE!), which I'm pretty sure means something like "hungry." I asked why they said that once, and they said pretty much the same thing: that the baby was so cute, they could just eat it up.
Agreed, very theology of the body. I believe Christopher West even mentions it in relation to cannibalism in one of his talks.
on a completely literary note, Jonathan Swift suggested the idea of eating babies in his "Modest Proposal." Maybe the idea of consuming your children is an off shoot of that...
Post a Comment