Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Due Date!

So I was hoping that today would be the big day. We even went to Mass last night to celebrate the feast of the Assumption of Mary and got a special blessing and prayer from the priest (which was great!) in hopes that our little one would come today, but no cigar.

This afternoon Fred went with me to the Doc's; I was supposed to see both my doctor and the new one. Well, Dr. Dryden ended up being in surgery, and the PA I love is out on her own maternity leave, so it was just us and the new doctor. You might imagine I wasn't very thrilled with this set up to begin with, so shocker that I didn't leave very thrilled either. I really didn't like the new Dr, though I wouldn't say it was a strong dislike - just the bound to happen dislike of a 40 week pregnant woman who is trying to get a feel for a doctor who knows nothing about her beyond what is written in her chart. I know the point of a chart is so that any doctor can come in and know how to treat a patient, but there is something very comforting in your own doctor who hardly has to glance at your chart to remind herself of the details and discuss any issues at hand. It doesn't help that my doctor has a way of always putting me at ease, and this lady did not. Of course, she JUST started on MONDAY at the practice, so I am sure this week hasn't been easy for her either.

Anyway, I submitted myself to this lady's examination, which was way more formal than the laid back exams I generally receive. Perhaps that too was due to the fact that she had to review my chart for every piece of information. (Why is that so frustrating for me?) She said I haven't changed at all in the last week. (In fact, said that what was in my chart was "very generous" and not what she would have said...why did that comment make me mad too? Who cares? Its not as if these things are measured with a ruler or something. Just say there isn't any change, not, in essence, "There isn't any change, in fact, you haven't even progressed as much as you thought you had.") So, since there has been no change, it made me think that an induction would be even harder to handle, and maybe I should just let this baby come on his own time. But I still rather deliver this baby with Dr. Dryden, who will be out of town for a week beginning on Monday. So I either have to have this baby before she leaves, or cross my legs and hold her in (and fight against scheduling an induction next week by new doctor) until Dr. Dryden gets back.
So I'm going to sleep on it and call to talk to Dr. Dryden in the morning, since I didn't get to talk to her today. Though I guess I could have, I didn't feel like telling the new doctor that I'm tempted to schedule an induction just to have Dr. Dryden delivery this baby before she lives. Of course, maybe, despite the "no change" this baby will decide to come soon on his own.

Anyway, that is my drama. Sorry if I tossed out too much information. I'm just a crazy 40 week, almost overdue, pregnant woman. Support welcome :-).

2 comments:

Vicki J. Dooly said...

E! You poor thing! I'm so sorry the doc drama has you worked up - you're perfectly entitled to be so don't feel bad! Almost spit out my milk when I read about your annoyance over the "very generous" comment - LOL! Obviously that lady didn't get the memo on not patronizing women on their due date. ;-)

Hang in there lady...Baby Sanchez needs to "cook" some more!

-Vicki

Anonymous said...

Hey there Elizabeth! No need to fret. When I read the "generous" comment I was a little put off myself (and I'm not a 40 week pregnant woman). I too would want my doctor to deliver my baby since they would know both you and the baby better than any new doctor.
Elaine