Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Mary Charlotte Comes into the World


We are so excited to introduce our precious new bundle of joy, Mary Charlotte, to the world. We plan to call her Charlotte (Charlee for short), but the last 48 hours we've generally used her full name, so I guess we'll see what happens.

Mary Charlotte
Born 8/26/2007 at 10:02 PM
7 lbs, 5 oz
19.25 in long.

I'm going to have to type this up quickly while Daddy and Charlotte are sleeping in the other room (curled up together, since she doesn't seem to tolerate sleeping by herself).

We are home from the hospital and all are doing well, though still trying to adjust. Miss Maddie is really confused by the whole thing so she is going to stay at my parents again tonight while everyone continues to adjust. It is nice to be home, and I'm feeling really good, despite delivering a baby 48 hours ago. I'll post pictures and then follow with our delivery story.


The Big Day

When I woke up Saturday morning I noticed that the baby had moved, as if she was facing a different direction than before, though still head down. Not really mentionable, except it made me feel that she was lower. I was also having the same, slightly harder, contractions I've been having for a while, but still irregular. We were busy all day with cleaning, a baby shower for our friends Tony and Michelle, and dinner with my Mom and Ernest. We were home around 10, and I started feeling like the contractions were coming more frequently around 11, but still tried to get some sleep.

By 2am I was up because the contractions were definitely around 8 minutes apart. I thought I'd start timing them a little more consistently and throw together a few last minute things. They quickly increased to 3-5 minutes apart and prompted a call to the Doctor's office. So we sped off to St. Luke's only to find out that I was still in early labor, but the contractions were maintaining, so they admitted me just after 4:00 am. By 8 I had progressed just a little, and the contractions were coming a little bit stronger; by 12 I hadn't progressed any more at all, and my contractions weren't picking up, so the doctor wanted to break my water and start pitocin. I said okay, but so long as I get my epidural first. (I might have forgone the epidural if things were better at this point).

They kicked Fred out during the epidural, so I was a little nervous, but it was really fast and totally awesome. WAY easier and less scary than I anticipated. I still felt the contractions, but no pain. This way I FINALLY got a little sleep, though not good sleep, since the pressure could still be a little intense. By 4:00, and then 7:00, I still hadn't progressed very far, although I was feeling some serious pressure. At 7:00 the nurse who checked us in at 4:00 came back on duty, which was a little discouraging to realize we'd been there that long. Suddenly, at 8:30 they checked me and I was just shy of complete! No more looming c-section. After an hour of pushing, Mary Charlotte came into the world.

Let me just say Fred was totally awesome and an incredible cheerleader. The nurse really knew what she was doing, and the Dr. covering for Dr. Dryden on Sunday (an older man - Dr. Zepeda) was great. 48 hours later, and my arms are the most sore part of my body from using them in a trick the nurse taught us to make pushing more effective.

K, now off for a few z's for me before baby wakes up again!


2 comments:

Tasha said...

Yea for pictures! She is SO beautiful, guys!! I'm so happy - can't wait to meet her!!! :-)

Anonymous said...

cutie :p